David S. Tufts
Leading digital transformation, agile transformation, and developing a winning team culture.
I am a driven leader who builds strong teams, invests in individuals, implements bulletproof processes, takes down walls, and enjoys getting things done.
I lead teams of highly skilled professionals who are proficient in multiple information technology systems. I have a solid track record of architecting solutions that facilitate user engagement, communication, collaboration, and productivity.
I have several years of experience in leading teams in the areas of web and mobile application development, internet infrastructure management, APIs and microservices, data and cloud technology operations, project management, agile processes, Internet system’s security and information management, and much more.
In my current role as Director of Information Services, my priorities are team leadership, developing and mentoring employees, establishing processes, implementing systems, and defining strategy.
I am currently leading a global team of over 20 software engineers in the US, UK, Australia, Indonesia, and the Philippines. I am also co-leading, along with the CIO, the US Information Services team of over 40 employees.
- Fostering a culture of innovation on the Information Service team and throughout the organization by implementing processes and procedures that ensure cross-functional collaboration, a positive team culture, personal development, and open and honest communication.
- Being a change agent in areas that are critical to innovation, by establishing empowered, cross-functional, and diverse teams.
- Making changes within the organization that ensure that products and services become more user focused in the execution of the organizations mission, vision, and strategic objective.
- Establishing direction of the global Information Services team by holding regular meetings, managing conflicts, performing team assessments and evaluations, and keeping the teams well informed of changes throughout the organization.
- Planning, implementing, and maintaining best practices that align with the organization’s mission, vision, and strategic objectives.
- Directing key initiatives to support business objectives and requirements including corporate strategic planning in the area of Internet technologies and digital transformation.
- Creating a collaborative work environment for a global team of Software Engineers to work together in a creative, problem solving way.
- Working closely with senior leadership and with individual team members in communicating the need for important changes by highlighting their benefits, as well as taking actions to minimize the negative impact that change typically introduces in organizations.
- Providing leadership on projects from inception through to completion in the areas of definition, design, scope, technical objectives, defining deliverables, scheduling, resource allocation, development, and problem solving needs.
- Establishing a series of employee led cross-functional teams within the Information Services organization around the topics of team culture, women in tech, Agile/Scrum, DevOps, software documentation, and quality assurance.
DEVELOPING AND MENTORING EMPLOYEES
Developing a diverse global team of highly skilled software engineers.
- Mentoring individual team members in the areas of leadership, innovation, collaboration, open and honest communication, and accountability, to be more effective leaders and to have a positive influence within their team, and throughout the organization.
- Taking a personal interest in individual team member’s professional development by encouraging individual team members to find a professional mentor, to set personal goals, to pursue additional skills through training, and to work collaboratively with other teams within the organization in order to effectively execute the organization’s mission and vision.
- Involved in hiring, training, retaining, mentoring, establishing career goals and paths, leadership development, having 1-on-1 meetings, conducting annual reviews, facilitating salary negotiation, and delivering corrective action when needed.
- Ensuring that the IS team has an adequate training budget that will allow for the entire IS team to stay current in their individual areas of expertise.
- Developing an ongoing plan with human resources that supports the organization’s growth strategy and obtaining the budget approval to hire the required people for the job.
- Focused on hiring a diverse team and on creating a path forward which ensures equal pay regardless of background, gender, or ethnicity.
Establishing autonomous, empowered, cross-functional teams that value collaboration, communication, diversity, healthy conflict, and great team culture by implementing Agile, Scrum, DevOps, Lean Startup principles, and Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe).
- Implemented Agile/Scrum methodologies on the IS team to increase efficiencies and reduce time-to-market of all software development initiatives.
- Established DevOps to enable easier and more efficient deployment of software to production, including principles such as containerization, automatic deployments, unit testing, continuous integration (CI), and feature toggling.
- Applied the Lean Startup principle of “Fail Fast, Fail Forward” by embracing the idea of releasing Minimal Viable Products (MVP), or Minimal Lovable Products (MLP) to market to measure user engagement through data analytics. Thus, allowing for data driven decisions that lead to product and service improvements through continuous improvement and iteration, or by pivoting to a solution that resonates better with users/customers.
- Championed the implementation of Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) for the entire organization. This has brought organizational alignment, focused decision making, and executive prioritization to projects that are being executed by cross-functional teams.
Implementing robust, secure, and scalable systems to support the organization’s strategic goals.
- Staying current with developing trends and techniques related to information technology and software engineering by attending conferences, conducting research and analysis, and through thorough evaluation of cutting edge internet technologies.
- Leading in the implementation of AWS, APIs, microservices, cloud computing, Cognito, Serverless, Lambda, React.js, etc.
Defining a technology strategy for the near future, and a 2 to 5 year plan for team growth.
- Collaborating with organizational leadership in the development of long-term strategies in the areas of system architecture, system infrastructure, digital transformation, web marketing, digital content distribution, monetization, and online membership acquisition.
- Designing a state-of-the-art internet infrastructure that facilitates doing business in a world of big data, machine learning, artificial intelligence, Internet of Things (IoT), user privacy, and data security.
- Working with outside consultants on ways to improve our internal agile processes and information systems.
- Working to create inspiring work spaces for teams to collaborate in.
Download my full resume as a PDF here